Tuesday, May 29, 2012

I make things

I'm not, like, a craftsman or an artisan or anything.  But is there anyone on the planet who doesn't get an extra thrill when they look at something beautiful in their home and they know they made it?

No, there isn't.

I've been taking a pottery class all spring, and loving it.  I'm moving onto the wheel class this summer.  I start in one week and I'm inordinately excited.

Here are the results so far.

This pot was intended to hold and pour honey.  I left the coil shapes and the rough shape on purpose.  My favorite thing about it is the color (a yellow glaze with a brown wash in some spots)


Next we have a couple of paperweights in ebony with a different wash on each one.  I love the variation of color.


This little dish sits on my bedside table to hold jewelry.

Hello Mr. Owl
This was some extra length of a footing I was putting on another piece.  It's perfect for rings or small bracelets.

This fish no longer lives with us.  It was a gift for my mama.  The scales and other details were all made by hand with wooden tools.  I made a template to cut the fish shape and then shaped the plate by hand.

This tray collects mail, keys, whatever at the front door.  I love the way the colors turned out.


And last of all, here's my box.  This is a little stash box on my bedside table.  I love it more than I can say.

The design on the outside is done in black slip and then a clear glaze is done over the top.  I used an ebony glaze on the inside for contrast.

I'm pretty proud of myself considering my beginner status.  I'm really looking forward to next week's class.