Monday, February 27, 2012

It's done

My first post on this blog was about getting a tattoo.  It's been something I've thought about forever.  At that time I was decided on a design but it never felt quite right.  I've thought about it off and on for probably a year.  I'm not one who thinks every tattoo has to have some deep meaning, but I did want something beautiful.

I settled on an octopus.  I am just so charmed by the way they look, move, their extremely high intelligence.  They're just fascinating creatures.  I also thought the shape (or lack thereof) would be perfect for where I wanted my tattoo, on my foot.

So Thursday night I had an appointment with Amanda at Art Addiction, at 7.  Now I am not going to lie.  This thing hurt like hell.  I had just gone to get a bikini wax and at first (while she was outlining) I thought, eh, not so bad.  not as bad as a wax!  But when she started shading and going over the same areas more than once, I thought I would die.

But it was definitely worth it.

She's shading here, and I'm trying to distract myself
My biggest mistake was not eating dinner before hand.  I thought I would have time to grab a bite, but I didn't.  And I totally underestimated the amount of time it would take.  We were done just after 10, and I was ready to go home and get in the bed.

Unfortunately, I had to wait a couple of hours to take off the bandage, wash it, and put ointment on it.  By then, I was having chills with shivering and chattering teeth.  And within another hour I was throwing up.  Apparently this isn't unheard of, but I think eating before and a little better timing could have avoided it.  I ended up falling asleep after 4 am, then waking up again when Brett's alarm went off.  I slept a little and was sick all day Friday.  Brett finally made me go to sleep at 7:30 that night.  I slept like 16 hours and came up feeling like a champ.

So I just needed rest and probably food.  But now I feel 100% better.

Still, I'm not sure I will ever do my other foot.  It hurt like a bitch.  Still hurts, but not very badly at all.

Looking at this picture (I can't figure out how to rotate it!), it's amazing how much the swelling has gone down in just a couple of days.  My foot was HUGE, and the swelling went into my toes and into the bottom of my foot.  I've been sleeping with my wisdom tooth ice pack on it and that's helping a ton.

Here's a picture in context, and my OOTD for today.

Sweater (which is actually hot pink), tank, jeans are Gap, shoes are J. Crew.

I love the way the tentacles kind of poke out from under my jeans and shoes.

If you have eagle eyes you may have spotted that I got another tattoo as an add on.

Another one I can't rotate.  Yes, I shamelessly copied Grace Bonney from Design Sponge.  I also wear the Stone and Honey ring she mentioned almost every day.  And this one actually has a little meaning for me (stylized symbol for change), but most of all I just love how simple it is.

So, I'm tattooed.  I'm a fan.  I'm sure I'll be getting more, eventually.

But first, my husband has to get his, which we're planning out right now!