Thursday, December 15, 2011

Dream House

I mentioned in my last post that we're planning to move, hopefully mid-2012.  We've been thinking about this for a while, and we have a very specific list of the things we want.  We're casually keeping an eye on what's out there (and we're only looking in one neighborhood, so that's easy), though nothing serious.

But right now, there is a house on the market that would make such an amazing project.  I would LOVE to get my hands on it.  I know Brett doesn't want to take on this kind of renovation, and there are tons of things that take it out of the running (even if you ignore the price), but I had to share its amazing potential.

First of all, just how gorgeous is this place.  It's an absolute dream.  I could definitely settle in here and never leave.  The trees!

So what are some of the problems?  First the size.  It's 4500 square feet which is way more than I want.  I actually want a smaller house than what we have now (1700 sf), but I think we'll end up with around the same size.  Also, the price.  At $535,000 it would be a great deal if it didn't need a complete renovation.  But it does, so the $120/sq ft is overpriced.

Also, it doesn't have central air.  So you couldn't even move in in our climate until that was taken care of.  Although it does have radiators for heating which I find totally charming.

These stairs would be so beautiful if you pulled up that runner.  Plus, you get a random dangling wire!  Bonus!

I would have to do a complete gut job on the kitchen.  This is not the kitchen for this house.  I'd do painted cabinets and soapstone countertops with a butcherblock island.  And white beveled subway tile to the ceiling.  We're assuming I'm rich enough to pay $535k for a house and THEN do a floor to roof renovation, so that's cool, right?

All I have to say about this is floors, fireplace, moldings, and those doors.  They're stained wood, I think possibly mahogany.

This alone is what makes it my dream house.  A library.  With dark stained bookshelves to the ceiling.  I want it.

Here's another shot of that gorgeous staircase.  Can you imagine growing up here?

And the interior of the entry.  I love the arched door way and the leaded glass.  It also has a screened porch AND a sunroom.  And three bathrooms.  But the bathrooms are kind of a problem.  I actually love the floor in one of them, but I think my husband hates it. 

We have very different style when it comes to bathrooms.  When we were in Amsterdam, we stayed in this gorgeous old hotel with amazing woodwork, huge windows, beautiful wallpaper.  We also had a really cool, modern bathroom.  Now, I liked the bathroom a lot and loved certain elements, but I wouldn't choose it for my home.  Brett loved it, almost 100%.  But the things I loved were his least favorite, and the things I didn't care for were his favorite things about the room.  But we'll figure it out?

Anway, I love this classic green tile.  I wonder if it's original?


The other bathroom is similar, but PINK.  I know I could never convince him to keep that.  And with the wall tile in both bathrooms, I'm not sure I'd want to.


I do love the old wall sinks though, and you know they've got to be built to last.  Overall, I think this house is a true gem.  But I don't think they'll get this price for it, and I don't think it's the one for us.  Hopefully someone will love it as much as I know I would!