Wednesday, March 21, 2012

form vs. function

This morning, I realized that there's a definite difference in the way people view certain items.

I have to say, I never expected this coming from my sneaker obsessed husband.  Just as an aside, our credit card information got stolen a few weeks ago and what tipped the company off was a $500 charge to a sneaker website.  When they called to ask if that was a legitimate charge I honestly had to think for a minute whether he would have bought that many pairs of sneakers.

But, the point, when it comes down to it, what goes on my husband's body must ultimately be functional.  I think most of us are somewhere on this spectrum, and I think I'm more practical than a lot of people (considering my absolute aversion to heels).

But today is our first big spring rain.  It will be a big, long, soaker, lasting all day, producing floods, tornadoes, a big clusterfuck that happens all the time in the spring and summer and ultimately is the reason that our city is so beautiful and green.  I did think about this when I decided what to wear this morning.  And I settled on cropped black jeans, a black and cream striped tee shirt, and a cotton cardigan.

Which was fine.  But my husband apparently had an issue with my shoes.  My idea of dressing for the rain is choosing leopard calf hair ballet flats that can withstand getting wet instead of suede.  On my way out the door he asked if I had my rain boots in the car.  I do, just like I do most of the time this part of the year.  But I don't plan on using them.  Cold damp feet are and okay trade with me in exchange for cute shoes.

Now to be fair, if I was planning on doing any extensive errand running in the rain today I would be sporting my Hunters and an umbrella.  But just normal outside exposure, the flats are fine.

So where do you stand on this spectrum?  Are you with me, in the rain with slightly wet feet?  Or are you firmly in the function camp, in a raincoat and boots?  Now I have to tell you, when it's cold, all bets are off for me, and I'll be in as many layers as possible, no matter how little they match.