Tuesday, January 10, 2012

2012 Goals

I haven't always been a person who makes resolutions, but after a few really crappy years, I started the practice again for 2011.  And it worked out really well, so I'm going to keep on keeping on.  They're not resolutions, so much as goals for the year - I guess they're just not as specific so if I cave and eat fast food, I won't feel like a failure?

So my 2011 resolutions were


  • Continue to improve my relationship with my H and depend on him for more.
  • Kick ass at work and be leading projects with other engineers start to finish by the end of 2011.
  • And for fun, rebuild our fence so I can get a dog.  Maybe.  I haven't decided if I want one or not.
So how did I do?  Number one was a huge check.  We are in a great place and really enjoying each other.  Really glad we made it a priority this year!

Number two - check!  I'm leading others, got requested on a HUGE project for 2012, and even got a promotion.

Number three - yep.  We rebuilt our fence this summer (helped along by a severe windstorm that knocked out the back half).  It looks great and will be nice when we sell our house.  We decided not to get a dog, but we got this guy instead.

For 2012, I'm going to continue working on 1 & 2.  Specifically I want to get my Six Sigma certification at work.  Well, I don't want to, but I need to.

But I have some other goals too.

  • Sell our house and move into my dream house - this will depend on the market of course.  But we'll hit three years in March and I'm ready to move into our "forever (or as long as we live in Baton Rouge) home."  This will take some work, but I think we can do it.
  • Related to number 1, step up on saving money and cut down on shopping.  If moving is my goal, I need to do this to make it happen.
  • Declutter.  Again, necessary for selling the house, but it's something we just need to do anyway.  I have so many knick knacks that I don't even like, and they're going.
  • Related to decluttering, stop buying things just to have something there.  We decide to get a couch?  We're getting THE couch, not a $400 back room special.
  • Stop biting my fingernails.  Blargh.
These are big goals for me, especially number 1.  I know it will happen eventually, if not this year.  I just hope it is as quick as possible, because I want to get out of here!